Saturday, February 26, 2011

beauty "secret" number one

First and foremost I'd like to share the easiest and most important beauty tip I can give anyone.  Sunscreen.  Summer to winter,  protecting your skin from the sun is the best thing you can do to stay young and beautiful. 

Wearing a sunscreen that protects from UVA and UVB (aka broad spectrum) is key.  UVA rays are the aging rays, they go deep into your skin and hang out there, aging you over time.   UVB rays are the burning rays, and the more you burn the more you age and raise the risk of skin cancer.  From http://www.skincancer.org/ "One blistering sunburn in childhood or adolescence more than doubles a person's chances of developing melanoma later in life. A person's risk for melanoma also doubles if he or she has had five or more sunburns at any age." 

So what are some sunscreen guidelines?  First off, always wear it.   Even if it's cloudy outside or winter, those yucky rays can break through and hurt your delicate skin.  Most recommend an SPF or 15 or more but I say why risk it on such low numbers?  25+ is the way to go if you're serious about protecting your skin.  Also, don't just put it on your face.  The neck, décolletage, and hands age just as quickly as your face so make sure you slather some protection on them too. 

My recommendations?  Oxygen Botanicals Sunscreen.  This product comes in a regular or lightweight formula for those with oily skin.  It has a heavenly apple scent that won't leave you smelling like you've been at the tanning beds all day, outstanding hydrating properties, and an SPF of 30.  It's not a cheap option, but is excellent for those looking for products that perform double duty.  For those of you on a budget I recommend Oil of Olay Regenerist SPF 50 Lotion. This product has an extremely high SPF of 50 and hydrates as it's protecting your skin.  It does have that tacky sunscreen scent and isn't quite as thick as the Oxygen line, but does the job of protecting regardless.

If you're a sun worshipper, seriously consider what you're doing to your skin and if being tan now will be worth your heavy aging later in life.  Look into Vitamin D pills if you take in sun for happiness, and consider spray tanning as an alternative to traditional tanning beds.  More on spray tanning later.  Happy sun protection!

4 Comments:

KAS said...

I know it shouldn't matter the skin color but I am so lazy when it comes to putting on sunscreen because I just get dark and not burn. I know if I don't take better care of myself in 10 yrs. from now I won't be looking so pretty. Apple scented sunscreen? Will be on the look out for that brand. Thanks!

Jessika Poodle said...

It's a proffesional product so look for it at spas, beauty schools, or online. I really love this stuff and even look forward to putting it on every day. Loving your sunscreen makes using it so much easier!

Kari Landry said...

Hey Jessika! I <3 the blog. Can you mix your sunscreen in with your moisturizer or is it better to apply them separately? Thanks for the tips!
Keep writing!

Jessika Poodle said...

Hey Kari, thanks for your question! I know that there have been times that I've mixed my sunscreen and moisturizer to cut back on time. However, I was totally in the wrong. Mixing the two may seem like a good idea but doing so can greatly dilute your sunscreen's sun protection factor and make it pretty much worthless.

If you absolutely feel the need to mix, I'd recommend getting the highest level SPF possible and an-free moisturizer to smash it up with. Better yet get moisturizing sunscreen or tinted sunscreen to cut down mass amounts of steps

Post a Comment